Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The ceiling in my apartment fell in and I found alternate housing for 6 days. What am I legally entitled to?

The ceiling in my bedroom collapsed onto my bedroom floor (pieces of plaster ceiling and a ton of insulation scattered all over my room). My landlord got a handyman to fix it and i spent 6 nights at 2 different friends' houses. He never offered to put me up anywhere i'm sure he would have just let me sleep on my couch for a week for all he cared. Anyway, after the ceiling was put back up and he claimed it was livable again he left me to do all the cleaning (dust all over everything on my dressers and pictures, dust on the walls and all over the floors, tons of dirt and dust all over my bedroom carpet, plaster and insulation left under the heating elements and in the hallway) I spent 2 days cleaning before it was actually truly livable again. As my half of the rent i pay $400 a month. I received a check for $70 from my landlord for 1/6 of my rent reimbursed. I feel like I'm entitled to the amount of money he also should have paid for a cleaning service and the money he would have had to spend putting me in a hotel. Anyone know what i am legally entitled to?

No comments:

Post a Comment